Buying baby clothing can be tricky business, especially for first time moms, there are so many baby dresses and outfits to choose from! I know I had a difficult time and made some blunders with my purchases along the way.
First, check on the material of the clothes. It is encouraged to get cotton material clothes so that your baby will feel cozy and comfortable while wearing them. Do avoid buying elastic type of clothes because your baby is growing daily. Elastic material is tight and this will definitely make your baby feel uncomfortable and itchy. Try to get polyester and cotton blends because it doesn't shrink much after the first wash.
* The measurements in the brackets are in cm.
Newborn Measurements: Head: 14in (35.6); Chest circumference: 14 in (35.6); Back of neck to hip length: 8in (20.3); Waist to ankle length: 12in (30.5); Crotch to ankle length: 6in (15.2); Sleeve length: 8 in (20.3)
- 1 - 3 Months: Head: 16in (40.6); Chest circumference: 16in (40.6); Back of neck to hip length: 9in (22.9); Waist to ankle: 13 in (33); Crotch to ankle: 7in (17.8); Sleeve length: 9 in (22.9)
- 3 - 6 Months: Head: 17in (43.2); Chest circumference: 18 in (45.7); Back of neck to hip length: 10in (25.4; Waist to ankleh: 13in (33); Crotch to ankle: 8in (20.3); Sleeve length: 9in (22.9)
- 6 - 9 Months: Head: 18in (45.7); Chest circumference: 19 in (48.3); Back of neck to hip length: 11in (27.9); Waist to ankle: 15 in (38.1);Crotch to ankleh: 9 in (22.9); Sleeve length: 13in (33)
- 9 to 12 Months: Head: 19 in (48.3 ); Chest circumference: 20in (50.8); Back of Neck to Hip Length: 12 in (30.5); Waist to ankle length: 16 in (40.6); Crotch to ankle length: 10in (25.4); Sleeve Length: 14in (35.6)
Infant Shoe Sizes: Note that these measurements are for the finished product, & length only.
Newborn: 3.5" (8.8 cm)
3 - 6 Months: 3.75" (9.5 cm)
6 - 9 Months: 4.25" (10.7 cm)
9 - 12 Months: 4.5" (11.43 cm)
Baby Blanket: You can of course buy baby blankets in any size you want. Sizing them to fit a crib might be a very good idea. Finally, when buying new baby clothes, remember: When in doubt, make your purchase based on weight and height rather than age! It is always safe to go one size bigger.